Sunday, March 1, 2015

Day 1

Yesterday, the 28th of February, I did 30 squats for the challenge I mentioned in my previous post. Due to the silliness of starting 1 or something on the last day of a month instead of the first day of the month, and the fact that the 30 I did were out of form and shouldn't count anyway, TODAY will officially be my first day of the 30 Day Squat Challenge. That being said, the 30 that I did yesterday has left me so sore that going up and down the three steps to my front door is a challenge. But, I'll admit, it feels good to be sore after going so long without regular exercise.

I go to Nerd Fitness for most of my form questions and general inspiration to get fit. Not only does it speak to me on a niche sort of level, there are so many articles written about nearly everything I've ever wanted to read about, that I don't have a need to go looking anywhere else! It's a community I feel more accepted into than most of the sites I find who are into hardcore weight training while I'm just starting body weight work outs. But I digress.

During and after my initial 30 squats, I was experiencing some pain in my right knee, the one that gives me problems, and lower thigh muscles near my knees. From what I understand by reading this guide on NerdFitness.com is that my form is off. I'm putting too much of my weight on the tips of my toes rather than my heels, and I am bending forward too much, mainly because I feel like I'll fall backwards if I don't. To correct this, I tighten my core muscles and keep my back as straight as possible without relying on my lower back to pull myself back up. So far I feel like my squats are more effective, though now I hurt in a number of places. 

I'll keep y'all updated throughout my challenge. Also, because cooking is just another one of my hobbies I indulge in occasionally, I'll be sharing some of my favorite recipes from time to time. Stay tuned and keep in touch!

0 comments:

Post a Comment